Dear Brothers and Sisters,
Our church has made a decision to fully cooperate with the State of Pennsylvania and the plan of Governor Tom Wolf for the mitigation of the coronavirus. To this end…
All church worship services and weekly activities will be suspended until further notice.
I am grateful for the team of pastors, staff, Church Council members, and physicians that helped make our decision. I am also grateful for the patience and understanding of our membership as we move through this difficult time. The decisions we are making are not easy, but we are doing our best to work for everyone’s safety and benefit.
Additional Details Are As Follows:
- We will live stream the sermon on both Sundays at 10 a.m. to our website at hempfieldumc.org/live. Shortly after the live broadcast the sermon video will be available for viewing in its usual location on the website. (Scroll down on the homepage at hempfieldumc.org)
- Again, for the period of the self-quarantine, all small groups, Bible studies, children and youth gatherings, outside groups, and all other activities will be suspended.
- Confirmation Sunday originally scheduled for Sunday, March 22, will be rescheduled for Sunday, May 31.
- Noah’s Ark Preschool follows Hempfield School District, which has announced closure from March 16-27.
- All staff that can work from home will be encouraged to do so.
- The membership gatherings scheduled for Sunday, March 15 and Tuesday, March 17 are postponed until further notice.
- Please remember that the church will still have financial obligations to meet during this time. Your tithes and gifts can be sent securely online at hempfieldumc.org/give, or you may send a check in the mail to the church office.
- Even though we will not be worshipping together we can still be in prayer for one another. Prayer requests can be submitted through the website rather than on the blue prayer cards. The e-prayer team will consider it all joy to still be in prayer.
Here’s How We Made Our Decision:
Romans 13:1 states, “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.” Our government is doing its best to mitigate a medical pandemic. Acting now will save lives. The chart below graphically depicts the goal to lower the rate of infection so that the healthcare system would not be overwhelmed.
We have no way of knowing what the future holds or when the virus will peak. There will undoubtedly be future challenges to overcome, but we can be confident that God is with us all and will bless us as we work together. We will continue to evaluate our response in the days ahead and make adjustments as needed.
Yours in Christ,
Pastor John Longmire