Care Ministry’s mission is to help people through a crisis and to help people find spiritual and emotional health. Our response to the COVID- 19 crisis has been swift and in full alignment with our mission.
“As I loved you so you must love one another.” John 13:34
Care Ministry looks forward to serving you and caring for you as the Covid 19 quarantine passes. Much of what Care Ministry does will stay the same but some aspects will need to be adjusted. Please continue reading below to see how some ministries will be altered until the Covid crisis passes.
- Telecare – Called each family in the directory, offering prayer and scripture, and asking for any prayer or praise requests.
• The Prayer and Care Page will no longer be printed on a weekly basis. All prayer and praise requests should be submitted online here or emailed to email@example.com. In order to receive the prayer and praise requests, consider becoming a member of the e-prayer team. Contact Joyce Young, Director of Care, via email or at 717-285-5156 ext 222 for more details.
• Food Cupboard and response to community needs – The food cupboard will be open Tuesday and Thursday mornings beginning July 2 by appointment only, as it was prior to Covid-19. Monthly drive-by-pick-up events will take place monthly through October so that we can distribute fresh fruit, dairy and produce purchased from Blessings of Hope. Our continued ability to do this depends on continued donations to Care Ministry. Thank you for your support.
• Food Cupboard Donations – Donations can be dropped off at the church each week when you come to worship. Please leave the donations on the cart as you enter the building. Donations can also be dropped off at the office entrance Monday through Friday mornings. Follow this link to see a list of the needs. This list will also be available each Sunday and can be obtained when you enter the building.
• School Supply Donations – School Supplies will be distributed to client families August 18. Donations can be brought to the church office or placed on the cart as you enter the building Sunday morning. Follow this link to see the items that can be donated. Monetary donations toward the purchase of backpacks are appreciated.
• Hospital Visitations – As hospitals permit visitations prior to surgery or during the recovery time, the Minister of Visitation, Joyce Young, will resume hospital visits. Please be sure to tell the staff at the hospital that you are a member of HUMC and the Chaplaincy Office will call the church to inform us. As always, you may call Joyce Young
at 717-285-5156 Ext 222 to make her aware of your hospitalization.
• Life Celebration Services and Interments in our Memorial Garden will be scheduled with the CDC and PA government guidelines in mind. Contact Joyce Young at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• GriefShare will begin Monday, August 24 and conclude November 23. It will meet in the Spirit Café from 12:30-2:00pm or 6:30-8:00 pm. Contact Joyce Young at email@example.com or 717-285-5156 Ext 222 to register.
• Stephen Ministers are here for you… When you are going through a difficult time and feeling alone, often your family is not your best support system because they are too close to the issue. What you may need is a fresh pair of ears to listen and pray. Our HUMC Stephen Ministers have received 50 hours of specialized training. They provide caring, confidential and nonjudgmental support in a variety of settings and ways to those going through a crisis, a divorce, unemployment, health issues or during other
tough times. If you think a Stephen Minister would be helpful to you, contact Joyce Young, Director of Care and Minister of Visitation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-
285-5156 Ext 222.
• Homebound Visitation Team – As long-term care facilities continue to respond to the recent health crisis, our team will primarily provide care and support through phone calls and notes. For those members living at home, our visitation team will resume visits if everyone involved is comfortable with that.
• Pass-it-On Ministry will send birthday cards to our homebound members on or near their birthday unless visits are welcomed.