small group leader | ENCOUNTER Student Ministry
What kind of person are we looking for? You do not need to be young, athletic, or a Bible scholar. But, you do need to:
- Have a personal “by grace through faith” relationship with Christ.
- Desire to shepherd and build relationships with young people.
- Have attended HUMC for at least six months.
- Be available to be regularly and consistently involved in this ministry.
- Be teachable, that is possessing a willingness to learn and put into practice what has been taught.
Nuts & Bolts of small group leadership:
- Small group leaders attend weekly Sunday night Encounter gatherings and monthly small group leader meetings.
- Small group leaders oversee/shepherd a group of students.
- Create a space where students are known, cared for, and challenged in their faith.
- Discover the joy of being a spiritual shepherd of students.
- Learn to facilitate meaningful discussions with your students.
- Foster a family culture of belonging; where everyone in your group is welcomed and
- Check in with and pray for students in your group.
- Do special activities with your group throughout the year.
- Encourage students to share Jesus with friends at school and to invite them to Encounter.
- Small group leaders are to review weekly discussion topics and questions provided in the weekly group discussion guide. Leaders need to consider their approach needed for his/her specific small group.
- Small Group Leaders are encouraged to participate in events, retreats/camps and mission trips
- Small group leaders are encouraged to support the director and youth ministry associate by assisting with event planning and offering feedback.
commitment & Expectations
- Being present at our weekly Sunday evening gatherings, a minimum of 3 times a month, communicating with the director when not able to attend.
- Participating in monthly leader’s meetings; for the purpose of pursuing Christ together through scripture and prayer, as well as for team building and event planning.
- Staying current with weekly email communications.
- Meeting with the director on a quarterly basis for the purpose of transformational
supervision (checking in, giving and receiving feedback, and leadership development).
- Prayerfully consider participating in special events; such as retreats, camps and mission trips.
o Regarding camps and retreats, leaders are asked to commit to the entirety of the time if they are able and would like to participate.
- Prayerfully consider being committed as a small group leader to your group for the entirety of your group’s time in our student ministry.
Have prayerfully considered, read through, and understand all that is expected and required of me as
a small group leader of Encounter Student Ministry as reflected in the Small Group Leader Role Description Doc.
Safe Sanctuary Training and 6 months regular attendance at Hempfield UMC.